Pleasant coastal village near the impressive Sea Cliff Bridge.
Coalcliff is a picturesque village perched on steeply sloping ground and sandwiched between the Pacific Ocean and the sheer cliffs of the Illawarra escarpment. Previously a quiet mining village, it was often cut off from direct access to Stanwell Park and Sydney by rockfall. In December 2005 that changed when the remarkable Sea Cliff Bridge was opened. Not only is the bridge a remarkable engineering achievement but it also is aesthetically pleasing as it winds around the rugged coastline. In recent years it has become popular with commuters to Sydney. Access is by electric train from the Coalcliff station. It has a small beach (formerly Coalcliff Harbour), an impressive rock pool and a rock shelf which is popular with anglers and walkers.
Coalcliff is located 62 km south of Sydney via the M1 (F6) and Stanwell Tops or 73 km via the scenic route through the Royal National Park. It is 24 km north of Wollongong and 11 km north of Thirroul.^ TOP
Origin of Name
Not surprisingly, given its origins as a coal mining town, Coalcliff is named after the first mining company in the area. A future premier of NSW, Alexander Stuart, bought land in the area in 1876 and the rather unimaginatively named Coalcliff Mining Company commenced operations in 1877.^ TOP
Things to See and Do
Coalcliff has a small beach edged by rock platforms. It is located at the end of a short, unnamed road which runs off Lawrence Hargrave Drive about 400 metres north of Sea Cliff Bridge - the next road north after Paterson Road. The road has a small blue signpost reading 'Coalcliff SLSC.'
Paterson Road, just south of the access to the Coalcliff Beach, provides access to a children’s play area and a delightful small rock pool which fills tidally and is edged by the Pacific Ocean while offering views down to the coast to Sea Cliff Bridge.
Sea Cliff Bridge
The Sea Cliff Bridge follows the coastline south, linking Coalcliff and Clifton. Parking on the northern side of the bridge is available along a short road which runs off Lawrence Hargrave Drive about 400 metres north of the bridge but there is more, and better, parking at the southern end. The 1.6-km bridge has a pedestrian lane shielded from traffic on one side and fencing on the other. The views it dramatic and below is a rock platform which is popular with anglers. Dolphins and whales are seen offshore in season. The bridge was opened in December 2005, follows the winding coastline but stands with its feet in the sea, owing to the instability of the adjacent cliffs. Rock falls and other safety concerns caused the closure of the old coast road and the construction of this new span which keeps it clearly well removed from the slowly crumbling geological facade.
Clifton is a small ex-mining hamlet with two interesting buildings. The former Clifton School of Arts (1911), is a two-storey brick structure in a Federation Free Classical-style and is built on land donated by the Clifton Mine for the creation of a learning facility. When completed it boasted a reading room, a general store and a billiards room. Later it was used as a post office, an electoral office, a caretaker’s residence, a shop and a venue for local dances. It is now held in trust by local residents.
Nearby is the Clifton Hotel with its doorways and windows sadly boarded up. An hotel (the Imperial) was licensed on this site in 1884. Resch’s Brewery Limited purchased the hotel in 1910, knocked it down and built the present two-storey brick structure in 1911. It was renovated in the 1970s but the closure of the road between Clifton and Coalcliff during the Sea Cliff bridge’s construction, saw the hotel close in 2003. It is yet to reopen. Check http://www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/library/onlineresources/suburbprofiles/pages/clifton.aspx for a detailed history of Clifton^ TOP
Other Attractions in the Area
South of the Bridge
The drive south from Sea Cliff Bridge is a delightful journey through some particularly beautiful and tiny old mining villages. This area is in transition and consequently the traveller will marvel at old fibro holiday homes and miner's cottages cheek-to-jowl with million dollar mansions with spectacular views over the Pacific Ocean. The road is narrow and winding and passes through villages which stretch from the sea up the escarpment.
* Prior to European settlement the Illawarra had been occupied by the Dharawal or Tharawal Aboriginal people for at least 20,000 years. They roamed across the narrow coastal plain, ate fish and crustaceans they caught in the rock pools and lived an idyllic life beside the sea.
* In 1770 Captain James Cook sailed up the coast. Cook attempted to land in the Illawarra but was forced to return to his ship because of the heavy surf that was running at the time.
* Shortly after the settlement of Port Jackson in 1788 George Bass and Matthew Flinder, accompanied by their servant William Martin, sailed down the coast in tan eight-foot (2.4 m) rowing boat, Tom Thumb, in 1796.
* In 1797 the survivors of the Sydney Cove traversed the area on their walk from the coast of Victoria. The vessel had been beached on the Furneaux Islands in Bass Strait. A boat was launched with seventeen of the crew but it was wrecked at Point Hicks . The survivors started walking north to Port Jackson but only three survived.
* In August 1797 George Bass sought Governor Hunter's permission to take two of the three survivors from the Sydney Cove and return to the Illawarra to investigate the survivor's reports of coal in the area. He set out in Governor Hunter's whaleboat and discovered coal at what is now known as Coalcliff. The journey lasted only eight days.
* In 1833 1000 acres (405 ha) was granted to ex-convict Matthew John Gibbons. The property, which he named 'Little Bullie" ran from Coalcliff to Stanwell Tops.
* There were early attempts in the region to extract the coal. The NSW surveyor general, Thomas Mitchell, acquired land which he handed on to his son. He was unable to raise sufficient funds to exploit the coal on his land.
* In 1868 Coalcliff was opened up to Wollongong when a bush road called Clifton Road was cleared north from the bottom of Bulli Pass.
* Around 1876-77 mining began to dominate the area. The Coalcliff Mining Company built a timber chute down the cliffs and a 150-metre jetty but still getting the coal from the mines to the ships was difficult and companies changed hands regularly.
* Between 1879-1886 a more substantial road known as Main Road was constructed to connect the mine at Coalcliff to Bulli. It eventually became part of Lawrence Hargrave Drive.
* A post and telegraph office opened at Coalcliff in 1879 and a hotel in 1880.
* The railway line from Sydney to Wollongong was completed and the first train ran on 7 September, 1888. It included a railway tunnel at Coalcliff which required 3 million bricks to line. That same year the North Clifton Railway Station was opened at Coalcliff.
* 1891 - the Illawarra Coal Company opened a mine at Clifton.
* In 1903 South Clifton was changed to Scarborough to avoid confusion.
* Shaft mining began in the area around 1907.
* 1991 - after 113 years of operation the Coalcliff mine closes down.
* 2005 the Sea Cliff Bridge is officially opened. Estimated cost is $50 million.^ TOP
The Wollongong region has two major visitor information centres. The first is located at Bulli Tops just off the Princes Motorway, is known as the Southern Gateway Centre and can be accessed by either going to http://www.southerngatewaycentre.com.au/ or tel: 1800 240 737. The second, known as the iHub Centre is at 93 Crown Street and can be accessed by going to http://www.visitwollongong.com.au/ or tel: (02) 4267 5910. Both these information centres can help with information about Coalcliff.^ TOP
The Wollongong Library site offers a detailed history of the town. Check out http://www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/library/onlineresources/suburbprofiles/pages/coalcliff.aspx^ TOP