Timber town between Launceston and St Helens.
Scottsdale is the major township in the mountains between Launceston and St Helens. Surrounded by hills, it is very much a timber town. Over 20% of the town works in the timber industry. The Forestry Commission, attempting to explain the importance of local forestry activities, established a Forest EcoCentre in the 1990s. There is also mixed farming and dairy farming in the surrounding district. In recent times it has become known as the heart of Tasmania's North-east Bible Belt mainly because a number of prominent local citizens are members of the Exclusive Brethren sect and have actively campaigned against the Tasmanian Greens party although the Brethren never vote.
Scottsdale is located 62 km north-east of Launceston via the Tasman Highway. It is 255 km north of Hobart via the National Highway and Tasman Highway and it is 200 metres above sea level.^ TOP
Origin of Name
There is nothing wrong with a town being named after the Government Surveyor. Thus Scottsdale is named after James Scott who tried to cut a track from St Patrick's River to Cape Portland in 1852. He didn't succeed but, as he passed through the district that now has his name, he noted that it had "the best soil in the island". So, more accurately, the town is named after its first enthusiastic promoter. Prior to Scottsdale the settlement had been variously known as Cox's Creek, Cox's Paradise, Heazlewood, Heazleton and Ellesmere.^ TOP
Things to See and Do
Scottsdale Forest EcoCentre
The controversy over timber felling, old growth forests, the economic importance of forestry, the impact forestry has on tourism are all hot button issues in Tasmania. In an attempt to explain itself Forestry Tasmania built the very modern and elegant Scottsdale Forest EcoCentre in the 1990s not only to house its local offices but to provide "an interactive forest interpretation centre that focuses on the landscape, forest communities and history of the North East." Sadly it is no longer open to the public.
Anabel's of Scottsdale
Anabel's of Scottsdale is located at 46 King Street has been, for many years, a charming B&B set in gardens of rhodendrons, camellias, wisteria and magnolia. It is a National Trust building in National Trust-listed gardens. Located in the heart of Scottsdale it was built in the 1890s and purchased by the Dinham family a few years later. For more information check out http://www.anabelsofscottsdale.com.au/
Located at 80 Oakdene Road, Scottsdale the purpose-built timber and iron museum is located in a garden which is rich with camellias, rhododendrons and azaleas in the springtime. It is a typical small rural town museum describing its contents as "a large display of Vintage and old fashions and accessories of interest to the ladies and a smaller display of gentleman’s attire. Tools hang from the walls – all restored by Greg. Kitchen artefacts, Laundry, Sewing and Dairy stuff is also on display." There was a folk museum in the Old Post Office which was built in the 1880s with an unusual clock tower added by the Lions Club in 1979.
St Barnabas Church
St Barnabas's Church of England (1892), a small and modest timber building, is located in King Street and is Tasmania's first example of an apsidal building - an apse is a semi-circular or hexagonal recess commonly at the end of the choir in a church.
Other Attractions in the Area
Bridestowe Lavender Estate, Nabowla
Located 15 km west of Scottsdale, the Bridestowe Lavender Farm is one of the largest producers of lavender oil in the world. The farm is world famous for its lavender which, because it exists in isolation, is not contaminated by cross pollination. The lavender is in flower from early December until it is harvested in January. Entry between 9.00 am - 5.00 pm is free in all months except December and January when the lavender is in bloom. For more information on the Bridestowe Lavender Estate check out http://bridestowelavender.com.au/pub/
* Prior to European settlement the area around Scottsdale was inhabited by the local Pyemmairrener Aboriginal people who had lived there for thousands of years.
* Janet and Andrew Anderson were the first Europeans to settle in the area. They took up the 'Barnbougle' holding near Bridport in 1833. In 1835 Peter Brewer took up land at 'Bowood' where he built a home in 1839.
* In 1852 a Government Surveyor named James Scott (after whom the town is named) tried to cut a bridle track from St Patrick's River to Cape Portland.
* The area around present-day Scottsdale was surveyed in 1858-59 and named 'Scotts New Country'. It was settled mainly by Scottish and English settlers
* In 1865 the town, known at the time as Ellesmere, got its first post office.
* In 1868 a visitor recorded that the township had 'numerous cosy neat cottages with their fruit and flower gardens in the front ... There are five or six hundred inhabitants ... There is yet neither police station nor public house, but the people appear to get on harmoniously enough without them.'
* By 1889 the railway reached the town. It is now closed down and the locals are turning it into a cycleway.
* by 1893 the town had been officially named Scottsdale. The post office was renamed.
* In recent times the town has developed a reputation, largely as a result of the presence of prominent members of the Exclusive Brethren, as the Bible Belt of North-East Tasmania.^ TOP
Scottsdale Visitor Information Centre, 4 Alfred Street, Scottsdale, tel: (03) 6352 6520.^ TOP